Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Borra Caves..

Entrance to Borra Caves
I woke up at around 4:30am not feeling that well. Went to the bathroom and.....well you guessed it. It was probably the chicken in bamboo - I was a little suspicious of it when I was eating it. I was expecting lean meat, but it was bones and all. I informed Venkata & JC that I wasn't that great and  would not be joining them for breakfast. They were concerned, as was I, since I was faced with another      15 hour journey in the car! I took some immodium and hoped that would work. The plan today was to visit the famous Borra Caves which was not far away. We arrived about 11am. I was feeling quite weak, but not too bad. I drank a lot of water as I knew I was dehydrated. The caves were spectacular. It was very deep with huge stalagmite/stalactite formations. There were a lot of very excited locals shouting loudly as they descended the cave. It was well lit but at one point all the power went out (in typical Indian style), which was a little unnerving as it was pitch dark and bats were flying around our heads! At the entrance to the cave monkeys had made their home, looking for easy pickings from the tourists. They had no hesitation in grabbing anything that looked to be edible from the hands of people.


Inside the caves
We finally set off on the long journey home at around 1:30pm. I settled myself in the back seat and tried to get some sleep. Not easy as we were still in the hills and  the roads were very winding and bumpy. Not to mention the local jeep taxi's trying to ram us off the road (they literally come straight for you at full speed!). After 2 hours we reached the main highway. It was pretty much the same road all the way back to Hyderabad. I slept a lot of it, thankfully, and didn't ned to use any facilities (thank god). We stopped for dinner and Venkata & JC kept asking me if I wanted more to eat - that was the last thing I wanted to do. I had some rice and a small amount of butter chicken. Eventually we reached my apartment - it was about 4am. I went straight to bed, exhausted but glad I went on the trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment